Monday, February 25, 2008

Obligatory Oscar Post

First, let me say that I did not see any of this year's nominated films (bummer!). But I have a long list of films I wanted to see and now want to see even more.

One thing that irritated me was Jon Stewart's commentary at the beginning. Sure, it's funny on his own show and it is his shtick I guess, but really, he doesn't actually have to govern, he just gets to make fun of those who do. A much easier and far less noble pursuit. His presence was a reminder that we blur the lines all the time between entertainment and information. I like Jon Stewart. I think he's a funny guy. I just don't think he was the best choice for this year's ceremony.

One thing I loved was how much highlight was placed on the folks behind the camera, not just in front of it. If the writer's strike has made Hollywood (and the rest of the world) a bit more aware of all the unseen effort that goes into films, all the better.

So many gorgeous dresses last night! So much red on the red carpet. I loved Katherine Heigl (stunning but nervous in her lavish tomato-red gown), Helen Mirren, absolutely beautiful in her red dress, with white lace (she did indeed have a "madame" quality), and Jessica Alba (golden in gold last year, she looked even more beautiful in a flowing wine colored gown this time around). Jon's comment that there were two pregnant women in the crowd, no wait three, but that Jack was there so they'd have to retallly at teh end was very funny.

And what is it about Jack Nicholson? I find him amazingly sexy, likely because I know I shouldn't. The thing I love most is how his lips curl in that devilish smile. Last night, sitting on the sofa, my husband and I both exploded in laughter at a seemingly minute detail of his speech about best pictures, then simultaneously looked at each other, why were we laughing? Jack manages to bring unexpected emotions into the strangest places. This is his charm -- and it works.

One thing I missed was more emphasis on short films, which I love; and I was a bit disappointed that Wes Anderson's "Hotel Chevalier" didn't get a nomination for short film. Speaking of the things I miss. Richmond doesn't get a lot of foreign films and I am dismayed that I did not see any of the films nominated in that category, especially the Russian and Polish films which both looked amazing.

I was also disappointed for Cate Blanchett. I certainly thought she'd get something out of her multiple award nominations last night. She'll surely be a contender for many years to come and I have little doubt that she'll get the coveted top honor for Best Actress before too long.

Speaking of Best Actress awards, did anyone else notice the emphasis on Hollywood couples? It is true that as much as Americans hate to admit it, we love royalty, and Hollywood royalty is the closest we get to the actual thing. The footage of Catherine Zeta Jones and Annette Benning winning in years past then returning to their husbands was simultaneously touching and nauseating. Successful women, in Hollywood as oft else, must follow traditional gender roles above all else. (Don't even get me started on the fact that Oscar still refers to the award as best actress and not best female actor in a lead role or something similar.)

Although I haven't seen it (yet!) I was so happy to see Joel and Ethan Coen pick up the best director prize for No Country for Old Men. I think they may win more before their careers are through. Now, I am more eager than ever to see their film. Among the others I really want to see, "There Will Be Blood", "La Vie en Rose", "Michael Clayton", "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" and "American Gangster".

I wish the Academy had used it theme from a year or two ago (A Return to Glamour) for last night's ceremony. I love the golden age of the silver screen.

Also, check out this article, though I heartily disagree, it's an interesting piece.

1 comment:

Steve sculpts critters said...

John Stewart seems to think he's just a bit too cute these days.