Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Welcome to You Suck 101

One of the things I am discovering about myself, and it's good to know, is that, despite my best efforts, I am not a good fiction writer.

My one page story doesn't get critiqued until next week, but I know it will be torn to shreds. We workshopped the first batch last night and overall people were very positive, on what were in my opinion some pretty dismal stories.

I made some suggestions for improvement, but I am not sure my comments were really all that helpful, since, nearly every time I opened my mouth the other students at the table looked at me as if I had sprouted a third leg right in the middle of my face... but, I did contribute. Is it really possible I am THAT out of touch with students ten years younger than me?

I am a little concerned that most of the students tried too hard, tried to accomplish too much and that the whole thing just didn't come accross on paper, in retrospect I might have done the same; we'll see.

2 comments:

Damned Hippie Feminist said...

Have you considered the possibility that you are ten years wiser than the students in your workshop?

gilathief said...

No, not at all.