Saturday, September 1, 2007

Truth is...

Some views on truth:

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch, nay, you may kick it all about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, The Professor at the Breakfast Table

Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold.--Leo Tolstoy

The trouble about man is twofold. He cannot learn truths which are too complicated; he forgets truths which are too simple.--Rebecca West

I do not know what I appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on a seashore, and diverting myself now and then by finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.--Sir Issac Newton

It will never be possible by pure reason to arrive at some absolute truth.--Werner Heisenberg, Physics and Philosophy

We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter.--Denis Diderot

We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable.--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.--Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia

As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand.--Josh Billings

There is no truth. There is only perception.--Gustave Flaubert

So, in truth I am scared. I signed up for a fiction writing class this semester which means that I must put away my casusal observations of the world and begin to create worlds of my own, which I think will be very hard for me.

No comments: