Friday, August 24, 2007

Back to Blogging

A good friend just called and mentioned she had been blogging. I have been insanely lax about it over the past few months, so I am very excited to get back into the swing of things (and on Blogger's eightth birthday no less!).

I still haven't figured out why it recognizes my "The Gila Capers" blog but won't let me merge it into this one and I need to do lots this weekend to bring myself up to speed with the blogosphere which I have admittedly, been only a casual observer of, lo these many months.

Dogfighting has been in the news a lot lately, and while it hurts me to even consider it, I am also glad animal issues are getting the kind of attention they deserve. I receive advocacy alerts from the ASPCA and The Humane Society and both advocate a sort of "constant villigance" approach to monitoring everything from local animal control laws to dogfighting cases to what's in the pet food many of us buy off the shelves. I keep meaning to transition my girls to a BARF diet, but haven't done so yet. Below are a bunch of really valuable Animal Rescue and Wellness Sites I love:

Dogster
--> Also check out their Pet Food Recall Alert (and accompanying feeds which can be added to your iGoogle or My Yahoo page)

The Animal Rescue Site
-->One Click Daily Helps Provide Food and Services for Shelter Animals... Want to Help More? Buy Something from their store!

Petfinder
-->Everything you need to find the perfect pet! Has links to your local shelter and beyond. Don't forget to support your local shelter, I support two local shelters The Henrico Humane Society and the Richmond SPCA!

The Humane Society of the United States
-->Remember that as awful as the Michael Vick case is, it is just one example of the daily reality for many animals. In this country alone, there are millions of animals living in desperate conditions. The Humane Society is one of the most active agencies dealing with legislation and their page on Issues Affecting Your Pets is a must read for anyone looking to become involved in making a change for the better.

The ASPCA
-->The grandaddy of them all. Especially of use is their page on disaster preparedness. I am currently putting together a preparedness kit that includes special items for my pups. Also don't forget that the ASPCA provides a Pet Poison Control Center

1 comment:

cdkscully said...

This is Christine from LJ. I added you to my blogroll. :)

http://grilled-cheese.org/blog